Health & Safety Officers
Health and safety officers counsel employees to ensure and promote health and safety in the workplace and co-ordinate accident prevention and health and safety measures within an establishment or organisation.
- Inspects workplace areas to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation
- Helps to develop effective health and safety policies and procedures and carries out risk assessments
- Instructs workers in the proper use of protective clothing and safety devices and conducts routine tests on that equipment
- Compiles statistics on accidents and injuries, analyses their causes and makes recommendations to management accordingly
- Maintains contact with those off work due to illness
- Counsels individuals on any personal or domestic problems affecting their work
- Gives talks and distributes information on accident prevention, and keeps up to date with the relevant legislation.
Entrants usually possess an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. Higher level accredited qualifications (at Levels 4 to 6) are achievable via the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.