Health Services & Public Health Managers & Directors
Managers and directors in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the resources and activities of health care providers and purchasers at both district and unit levels.
- Implements policies of the board, ensures statutory procedures are followed, with particular emphasis on patient safety and the management of risk
- Liaises with health care professionals to determine short and long-term needs and how to meet these objectives within budgetary constraints
- Oversees the day-to-day management of the unit or service and provides leadership to staff
- Uses statistical information to monitor performance and assist with planning
- Negotiates and manages contracts with providers and purchasers of health care services
- Manages staff, including recruitment, appraisal and development
- Monitors and reports upon the effectiveness of services with a view to improving the efficiency of health care provision
- Coordinates the promotion of public health and wellbeing in the actions and policies of public agencies and their social partners
- Monitors and reports upon the state of public health and wellbeing.
Entrants require a degree or equivalent qualification, a professional qualification and/or relevant experience. Off- and on-the-job training is provided through management training schemes. The nature of schemes varies between regions and occupational areas.