Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
This is an exciting level 3 course which will prepare you for work within the media industry as well as equipping you with the skills to progress to apprenticeships and higher level qualifications such as a degree. You will work with media professionals both inside and outside of the college during project work. The course covers all aspects of video, as well as aspects of print publishing, and digital graphics.
This is a 2 year programme delivered as follows:
- The 1st year is the Diploma (P067)
- The 2nd year is the Extended Diploma (P073)
Achievement of the 1st year (Diploma) could enable you to progress onto the 2nd year (Extended Diploma)
The BTEC Extended Diploma in Creative Media comprises 19 units which are delivered in the form of a 90 Credit Diploma Qualification (10 units) and progressing to the Extended Diploma Qualification (9 units).
BTEC Nationals are designed to relate to the National Occupational Standards for the sector, where these are appropriate, and are supported by the relevant Standards Setting Body (SSB) or Sector Skills Council (SSC). The Edexcel level 3 BTEC Nationals in Media Production relate to Skillset National Occupational Standards for Camera, Editing, Sound, Lighting, Directors, Production, writing for television, research techniques and graphic design.
All BTEC Nationals attract UCAS points that equate to similar-sized general qualifications.
Click on the links below for more information:
Your course will look at four main areas of the creative process:
- Creativity in context: The things that can influence the creative process, such as society, culture, the environment or the work of other people.
- Thinking and working creatively: Ways of exploring, experimenting with and developing ideas, skills and techniques.
- Principles, processes and practice: The skills, techniques and processes to turn your ideas into reality.
- Creative businesses and enterprise: An understanding of real situations and the skills that you need to succeed in the industry.
- Priority will be given to those aged 16-18 years old.
- Relevant Level 2 or 5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above (preferably including English Language).
- An interest in media production and theory.
- A satisfactory interview.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
The course is delivered in a pathway system and students progress through two programmes beginning with the Diploma and ending with the Extended Diploma.
This is a level 3 BTEC. On completion, the qualification will be the equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
In video production you will learn how to; originate ideas, conduct research and write research briefs for video, write proposals and treatments, write scripts, develop interview techniques, operate a video camera, produce and direct a film and crew, edit a film, work as part of a production team and gain experience within multi-camera set-ups.
Are you aged 16-18?
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A* - C in English and maths (grade 4 and above).
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips.
On completion of the two year course students will have the qualifications and experience to equip them for work within the media industries or to enable them to progress to Higher Education.
Explore potential careers via Career Match — it provides current local data on wages and employment prospects.
When does this course run?
Starts 03rd Sep 2018 - Ends 26th Jun 2020
If you are aged 16-18:
This study programme will be FREE for most students who are aged 16-18 on 31 August, or students aged 19-24 with an Education, Health & Care Plan.
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £6300.00
Depending on your personal circumstances, this course could be FREE for you if you are aged 19-23 and you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Please see our Fees and Discounts leaflet for details, or call 0151 551 7777.
If you are aged 19+, you may be able to apply for a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan (which is available for this course).
The fee quoted is for the academic year 2017-18. Course fees for 2018-19 will be confirmed in due course.
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 21st July, 2018 and may be subject to change.