Level 6, Part Time
Application Form & Reference Form to be returned to Student Services
This course, written and validated by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) covers advanced topics, typically included in the third year of a modern chemistry BSc.
The part-time course lasts 2 years. It is suitable both for day release students who are employed in a industry and those for whom part-time study is the better option.
You will study five level 6 units over two years:,/p>
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Physical Chemistry
- Further Analytical Chemistry
A single module completed in one year will require about 10 hours per week. This normally consists of between two and four hours contact time with staff in lectures, practical sessions or tutorials and the rest in private study, reading around the subject or preparing assignments. Please note that the dissertation module can be work-based, accommodating those who opt to work in a laboratory while they study.
Students with Level 5 Foundation degree in Chemistry or Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Applied Chemistry or any other equivalent qualification are eligible to apply.
Applicants who do not fulfil the above entry criteria will be considered on an individual basis, taking into account other factors.
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course. To discuss further, please contact the ESOL department on 0151 551 7144.
The modules are assessed through Examinations, Presentations, Essays, Short notes, Case studies etc. Coursework and practical assessments typically make up 70% of the course's assessment. The remaining 30% is attributed to a written exam.
You will find a detailed breakdown of the assessments in the module booklets you will be given at the start of each module.
Good links are maintained with the University and the students will have access to the UCLan library which includes e-books and e-journals.
Timetables of study and assessment calendars are provided to students following enrolment. As a guide, students are usually in classes one day a week.
With a BSc (Hons) your employment prospets are enhanced, and the degree allows you to enter the job market at a higher level with a higher salary. You could potentially go on to work in a number of different disciplines including studying towards postgraduate qualifications, working within laboratory based industries, technical posts within education or industry, research technician and teaching in science.
The BSc (Hons) provides you with a strong set of transferable skills valued by employers.
When does this course run?
Starts 12th Sep 2017 - Ends 30th Jun 2019
If you are aged 19 or over:
Fee : £2650.00
Please note, this fee is the cost per year. For Higher Education (HE) courses, student loans are available to most students undertaking a degree, foundation degree, HNC / HND or teacher training programme. Visit https://www.gov.uk/browse/education/student-finance or https://www.wmc.ac.uk/higher-education/support-information/finance-loans for details.
Planned Timetable (subject to change) Day Times Campus Monday 09:00 — 17:00 12 Quays
For advice and guidance, please contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or call into our Conway Park Campus Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm (all year round) and Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-6.30pm (term time only).
This information was current on 25th April, 2018 and may be subject to change.