About English Language Unit
About the English Language unit (ESOL)
The English Language Unit has been running English courses for internal students for more than 20 years. Our team of dedicated, experienced teachers and support staff will help you learn in a friendly and supportive environment.
The ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) department is accredited by the British Council which ensures that students receive excellent teaching, suitable premises and plenty of support. The College is also inspected regularly by OFSTED, the government body who ensure standards in education in the UK for the British Government. These accreditations and inspections ensure that the course content and teaching are as up to date and of the highest quality.
The aim of the ESOL courses is to ensure all your language, social and academic needs are met by:
- Providing a stimulating environment in which to develop your language skills
- Producing a range of study facilities to help you achieve your goals
- Providing an effective foundation for the development of future academic or vocational study at Wirral Met or other UK educational establishments
- Offering a range of organised activities which will enhance your experience of the English way of life
If you are coming to the college to study English only, you will be assessed before joining your class. You will then be put into a class where the students are at a similar stage in their English learning as you. We have classes from beginners to advanced levels. All full-time courses within the English Language Unit have a maximum class size of 18 students.
- International students must be aged 18 or above.
- (You may be in a class that includes 16-18 year olds)
- Home based students must be aged 16 or above.
The College’s Social Programme is available to all international students. The programme involves activities such as sports, visits to museums, films & other social events. It may also include informational sessions on careers, personal safety etc.