More Search

The fees for courses vary according to the source of government funding. The following is a brief guide to where you can find out more information.

Don’t forget, you can speak to our Student Advisers on 0151 551 7777 for further information about the funding available. Please note, they are not financial advisers and cannot advise you about your individual financial circumstances.

Degrees, Foundation Degrees, HNC, HND, Certificate in Education or PGCE programmes

You can apply for a student loan before you have a confirmed college or university place. To get your student finance in place for the start of term, you will need to apply by the Spring before you are due to start.

Full-time students

The main sources of student funding for degrees, foundation degrees, HND and PGCE programmes are:

  • Tuition Fee Loans
  • HE Maintenance Loan
  • HE Special Support Grant

Most students will be able to take out a Tuition Fee Loan for the full cost of their course; these loans are repayable after you leave your course and you start earning at least £21,000 per annum.

The Government offers HE Maintenance loans (for living expenses) to eligible students. These loans are repayable after you leave your course and you start earning at least £21,000.

Part-time students

Most part-time students will be able to apply for a student loan to pay for their course fees, subject to the course being at least 25% equivalent of a full-time course. This means that you will need to complete your course in no more than four times the amount of time it would take you to complete if you were studying full-time.

The maximum annual Tuition Fee Loan that is available to part-time students is £6,750 and is repayable when you leave your course and start earning at least £21,000 per annum.

Previous study

You won’t normally be eligible for a tuition fee loan if you already hold a qualification equal to or higher than the one you intend to study for.

For further details about Student Finance, visit

Student Bursaries for Degree programmes

For students who have started studying on a degree programme from September 2017:

  • Support Bursary - £500 per annum for students with a household income below £25,000.
  • Access and Progression Bursary - £500 per annum for students with a household income below £25,000 and who have studied at Wirral Met College in the previous two years.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is available to help with extra costs you may have in relation to your course as a direct result of a disability, long term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. The level of any DSA award will depend on an individual needs assessment – Click here to visit the Student Loans Company website for more details. 

Additional Costs

For details of possible additional costs including printing and reprographics, download the HE Additional Costs leaflet.

Did you know Wirral Met has a Higher Education ACCESS agreement?


Have you heard about the Advanced Learner Loan?

Advanced Learner Loans give students aged 19+ in further education, studying eligible level 3-6 courses, access to financial support for tuition costs from the Student Loans Company.  Loan repayments apply once you have completed your course and earn over £21,000.

It's easy to apply, your household income isn't taken into account and there are no credit checks.

Here are some of the key facts about the loan:

  • Repayments are linked to what you earn and not how much you borrowed.
  • You only have to start making repayments when you’ve finished your course and you’re earning over £21,000 a year (which is £404 a week or £1,750 a month). Until then you don’t need to pay back anything, but you can make voluntary repayments at any time.
  • You pay 9% of the money you earn over £21,000, before tax. For example, if you earn £22,000 a year, your monthly repayment will be £7 a month; and if you earn £35,000 a year, it will be £105 per month.
  • Interest is charged on a sliding scale between the Retail Price Index (RPI) and RPI +3%, depending on how much you earn.

For further information, contact Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or visit the National Careers Service website.

Are You Studying on an Access to Higher Education Course at Wirral Met College?

Currently, if you successfully complete your Access to Higher Education programme at Wirral Met College and subsequently progress on to and successfully complete a HNC/D, Foundation Degree or Degree course, your Advanced Learner Loan fees on the Access programme will be waived. You will still have to pay for the HNC/D, Foundation Degree or Degree course fees.

What Could My Repayments Be?

With the Advanced Learner Loan, repayments are linked to what you earn, not what you borrow. This tool will help you find out what your repayments would be based on what you expect to earn when you’ve finished your course.

Find Out More Using The Repayment Caldendar

Quick Guide On Repayments

Quick Guide On How To Apply

Don't Forget! You can seek impartial money advice from The Money Advice Service.

Keep Up To Date

Invalid Input
Please enter a valid email address