Childminders and related occupations provide day-to-day care of children within a domestic setting, and supervise and participate in their play, educational and other activities.
- Assists children to wash and dress
- Changes babies’ nappies and clothes as necessary and makes up bottles for feeds
- Plans, prepares and serves children’s meals and supervises children during meals
- Mends, washes and irons children’s clothes and tidies their rooms
- Provides, supervises and participates in children’s indoor and outdoor play activities to promote their development
- Takes children to participate in play groups or on appropriate outings
- Takes older children to and from school
- Maintains appropriate records of children’s development
- Complies with regulations set by OFSTED and their inspection requirements.
Entry may not depend upon academic qualifications, although employers may expect a candidate to possess a qualification accredited by the Council for Awards in Children’s Care or other qualifications. Childminders must be registered with OFSTED to care for children under the age of 8 years. NVQs/SVQs in Child Care and Education are available at Levels 2 and 3. A minimum age limit of 18 years applies, and CRB clearance is mandatory.