Receptionists receive and direct telephone calls and visitors to commercial, government and other establishments.
- Receives callers and clients and directs them to the appropriate person or department
- Records the details of enquiries and makes appointments and reservations
- Answers, screens and forwards or otherwise deals with telephone enquiries
- Supplies brochures, pamphlets and other information for clients
- Records details of visitors, issues security passes and informs visitors of any actions to be taken in case of an emergency
- Maintains reception area in good order.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although many employers expect entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. There are a variety of relevant vocational qualifications available. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Level 2 that encompass various aspects of reception work. Professional qualifications are also available.