Business sales executives provide advice to existing and potential customers, and receive orders for specialist machinery, equipment, materials and other products or services that require technical knowledge.
- Discusses customer requirements and advises them on the capabilities and limitations of the goods or services being sold
- Quotes prices, credit details, delivery dates and payment arrangements and arranges for delivery and installation of goods if appropriate
- Makes follow up visits to ensure customer satisfaction and to obtain further orders
- Stays abreast of advances in product/field and suggests possible improvements to product or service
- Maintains records and accounts of sales made and handles customer complaints.
There are no formal academic requirements, although entrants usually possess academic qualifications and/or relevant experience in a particular profession or speciality. Training is usually on-the-job. Professional qualifications and NVQs/ SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.