Full time students aged 16 – 18 on 31/08/16

If you feel your financial circumstances may stop you from attending college there is a range of financial support available, including:

You can apply for help with travel if you live 2 or more miles away from your campus of study.

Weekly Bursary:
You will be entitled to a weekly bursary of £33 per week if:

  • you are in care
  • you are a care leaver
  • you receive income support
  • you are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Learner Support Fund:
You can apply for support from this fund if you are not receiving a weekly bursary and not enrolled on an apprenticeship programme.  This is to support you with any additional on course costs such as equipment, trips, books etc.

Free Meals:
You may be entitled to free meals in college if you or your family receive one of the benefits listed below:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based JSA
  • Income-related ESA
  • Support under Part V of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190.00, as assessed by HMRC
  • Working Tax Credit run on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

If you have children and are using a registered childcare provider, government funding for childcare is available through the Care to Learn scheme.  

For further details visit www.gov.uk/care-to-learn/overview and https://www.gov.uk/care-to-learn/how-to-claim

Details on all of these funds is available from Student Services on 0151 551 7777 or you can read more by downloading our Fees and Discounts leaflet.